Monday, July 21, 2014

What Defines Your Fab?

What defines your fab? Some people think my hair is fab others otherwise.
Some of the things we consider our flaws or weaknesses others love about us or wish they could have.  I know when you posses said traits you may not feel this way. I hadn't really  told anyone or talked about it much until I had an interview with an organization called "Beauty Bus". People ask all the time "How long have you been 'natural'", but never really ask why?

My Grandma was my best friend and my whole world. She had won her fight against leukemia many years ago, but in the process had lost her hair. Her long locks grew back in no time, but the chemo pills later prescribed acted as anti vitamins thinning and weakening her hair once again. My Grandma told me she thought my mom didn't do her hair much more after that, because it reminded her of when she had to cut off the lingering strands when she was sick.

Per her doctors recommendation she removed chemical relaxers from her beauty supplies. She bought a hot comb and was going to show me how to use it on our hair. To answer the question, "when did you go natural" I have no clear answer. I didn't mark my calendar and I don't  celebrate hair anniversaries. I just know sometime between 2010 & 2011 I stopped the relaxers.

My grandmother did not want me to cut my hair, but I had already decided if she had every gotten sick again I would cut it all off. My Grandma was stolen away from me in the blink of an eye. I felt so empty and didn't feel like doing anything including straightening my hair. I relaxed it... When ever that day was I haven't had one since. On a separate occasion I just went ahead and cut it all off.

It is a lot of hair. It is very thick and sometimes hard to manage, but a lot people say they love my curl pattern. Everyone's hair is different and tailored by their own genetics. I really dislike questions about products to mimic my curl pattern, because it didn't come out of a bottle and everyone should embrace their own. We have to stop allowing others to shape and define OUR FAB....

Signed
- The Fablanthropist



No comments:

Post a Comment